Friday, September 01, 2006

The Memphis Downs

Born of the Thursday night rides (formerly FNO) is the first Memphis Downs Ride. An alley-cat of sorts, the Downs will consist of 10 downtown parking garages. At 9 pm, September 14, riders will be given a list of the garages and the race will begin from the East parking lot of the First Congregational Church in Cooper-Young. This is not a closed course - in fact, you choose your own - and you will be riding in traffic. Prizes will be given for the first riders, among the men and women, to complete the course. An after-party will follow the ride.

Participation requires $10, with all proceeds going to the Revolutions Community Bike Shop. We also encourage riders to bring old parts, tools and frames to donate to Revolutions.

Contact information in the coments...

4 comments:

jmgorman said...

Contact Josh Gorman at jmgorman at gmail dot com or 9-oh-1 six 0 five 18-twenty

jmgorman said...

If anyone is interested, I've set up paypal so you can pay ahead of time (and help me cover the costs of copies, prizes and beer). Just send it to jmgorman at gmail dot com and I'll put your name on the list.

Even if you don't want to pay yet, go ahead and let me know if you think you're goin' to ride. That way, maybe I can buy the beer ahead of time and still be able to ride.

jmgorman said...

Moreover, I guess I should put some more information about some stuff here.

1. I'm not telling anyone where the ride is going until the beginning - well, not specifically anyway. Rest assured the ride will encompass 10 parking garages in or near downtown.

2. This lack of route makes the points-race even more interesting. You get more points for making it to a garage before other people. Therefore, it is likely that someone will make it to the tops of the garages, on average, faster than the first person to complete all of the garages. There will also be points bonuses for fiding fixed and for riding brakeless.

3. I need to stress that this is just a fun ride that everyone is participating in voluntarily. You will be riding in traffic and without official acknowledgement in the garages. We'll go over all of that again before the ride.

4. This ride is not formally affiliated with Revolutions or any other organisations that may have helped out with everything. I'm inviting everyone out and will donate all proceeds to the shop (honest to god).

I'll answer everything else as it comes up.

jmgorman said...

ok, at Denis' persistence, I'll give a #5, there will also be a points-race bonus to everyone riding a big squishy bike. If you can throw that 35-pound twenty-niner up and down the parking garages, I'll give a point bonus.

It also looks like the after-party is going to be at my place. I never heard back from the hotel and I figure we don't need to try to navigate a parking garage after drinking a few beers. oi.